ABOUT PATAN

Jain Temples in Patan Back

SHRI MAHADEVA PARSHVANATH JINALAYA (Mahadevani Sheri, Khetarvasi)

mahadeva-parshvanath

Zoom Image

A reference of this Jinalaya occurs in Patan Chaitya Paripati composed by Ladhashah in V. S. 1777. In this Paripati the Sheri is mentioned as Surji Madhavni Pole. In Jain Tirth Sarvasangrah this Jinalaya is described as Parshva Jinalaya in Mahadevni Sheri. First reference of this Jinalaya is in a Stuti (eulogy) composed by Shri Pandit Hiralal.

In this Jinalaya with three garbhgruhas, a 21-inch idol of Shri Mahadeva Parshvanath is as mulnayak (main God). There is a nice chhatra (shelter in shape of an umbrella). In garbhgruhas on either side there are idols of Shri Neminath and Shri Vasupujya. Here there are five marble idols and 29 idols of metal.

Though small, the rangmandap is attractive. The patts of Shatrunjay and Girnar, colour-work on the walls, the huge mirrors and marble designs on the floor add to the grace of the Jinalaya, in one niche there are padikas (impression of the feet in stone worshipped as foot-print of god or religious guide) of Munishri Kirtivijayji and Manishri Manikyavijayji. The year inscribed on the padukas is V. S. 1892.

The administration of this Jinalaya is conducted by Shri Kirtibhai Valchand Shah, Shri Chinubhai Nemchand Sha, Shri Prafulbhai Jayantilal (Zabhlawala).